Our Farm to School program came together in 2014 when we took on an Americorps Member through the WV Department of Education’s Office of Child Nutrition. The program has been given a big boost by having Amie Middlekauff as our Americorps Member.
The program covers:
- Assisting local farmers to become produce providers to the Morgan County Schools’ Child Nutrition Program. Local farms now provide fresh produce, such as tomatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, apples and other produce directly to the schools. This results in the freshest food available appearing on the children’s lunch trays.
- Working directly with teachers to provide equipment and materials to do school gardening activities in the classroom.
- Doing classroom activities with children to educate them about fresh, local food.
- Establishing new school gardens.
- Assisting at the Warm Springs Intermediate School’s High Tunnel.